Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dark Day Meal #17

I started reading a new book a few weeks ago, even though I am still reading two others..."This Organic Life, Confessions of a Suburban Homesteader" was calling from my bookshelves. I love the book and am very much enjoying reading it. It is a story of Joan Gussow and her journey into local eating, and producing what she could on her property in New York. Not only does it tell a story, but you learn along the way and she also includes a few recipes throughout. I decided to make one of the recipes for our Dark Days meal last week, Joan's Kale and Potato Soup.

Christmas Limas (instead of pintos) - Sun Coast Farms
Kale- Suzie's Farm
Olive Oil - unfortunately the last of my Petrou
Red Onion- Sage Mt. Farm
Garlic- the f.m.
Bean stock from the cooking of the limas
Chili flakes, Bay leaves from the store
...and last but not least the potatoes were form the store! I know that was bad, I thought about leaving them out but it just wouldn't have been the same without them and I couldn't find any at the market.

This soup was quick cooking and very easy for a weeknight meal as long as you have your beans ready! To wash down the soup I had a nice glass of green juice made from the stems, leaves and greens from the veggies we picked up at Suzie's Farm. Once I juice the veggies and an apple, I pour it in the blender and add wheat germ, a few almonds and a drop of honey. I wish I could have this juice all the time, it works as a great replacement for coffee in the morning and anytime I need a little extra nourishment and the kids like it too!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I loved that book! It's what got me started on all this self sufficiency stuff a couple of years back. Great inspiration, and lovely writing. Glad to know someone else is enjoying it too.
    Sounds like your dinner turned out great!

    ReplyDelete